From Monday 30 March 2020, a paediatric dentist will be available Monday to Friday to help answer questions you have on your child’s dental health via teleconsultation. For after hour emergencies please contact us on (08) 9339 8200.
To utilise this service : Follow these 3 steps
1. Please try to take 5 photographs on your mobile phone
- Patient’s Upper right back teeth
- Patient’s Upper left back teeth
- Patient’s Lower left back teeth
- Patient’s Lower right back teeth
- Front teeth with lip lifted
Examples of photos:
Taking photos of my 3 year old son – Watch Video
2. Use the online Patient Information Form to send your photos and other necessary information.
3. Call 9339 8200 to arrange a 30 minute Teleconsultation with you and your child. A $55 fee will be payable to the reception at the time of booking.
Please be advised private health insurance rebates may not be applicable at this time.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need a referral from my general dentist or medical practitioner?
No referral is needed to see our Paediatric Dentists. However, any recent radiographs taken by your previous dentist may be useful to have prior to your appointment. Please inform our receptionists if you wish to have these radiographs requested from your previous dentist.
- Are you only accepting emergency consultations?
No, all parents are welcome to contact us.
- Does my child have to be present during the Teleconsultation?
Yes, it is preferred.
- How do I take the photos?
Taking photos of your child’s teeth using your mobile phone will not be easy…. and may not be possible. However, images submitted to us, will often be clearer than seeing your child’s teeth during the teleconsultation. The more information we get, the more accurate our advice will be.
Please watch the video and follow these tips:
The most important advice is to …… Have patience with your child!
If possible….. practice, practice, practice (and consider bribery – it worked for me)!
Use good lighting during the daytime (go outside or next to a window) and choose an area where your child can lie down.
For your child’s upper teeth:
- Have your child lying down with a small pillow under their shoulder blades with their head tilted back slightly and chin pointing upwards.
For your child’s lower teeth:
- Have your child either lying down or sitting upright.
- What happens if my child will not cooperate for photos or will not open their mouth during the teleconsultation?
Having reasonably clear photos will greatly assist us during the teleconsultation. However, taking photos of your child’s mouth with your mobile phone will not be easy and in some cases impossible.
In the event no photos can be uploaded or your child doesn’t open their mouth during the teleconsultation, it will still be worthwhile speaking to both you and your child via teleconsultation.
We acknowledge that a direct examination may be the only way to determine your child’s treatment requirements, and if deemed urgent during the teleconsultation, an appointment will be made to examine your child at our Bicton Surgery.
- My child was due to have fillings. What happens now?
Due to the Level 3 restrictions placed on all dental practices by the Australian Dental Association, all patients due to having fillings have been postponed until the restrictions are lifted. Our practices at Cockburn and Bicton have rescheduled patients a few months away to keep their original order. As soon as our restrictions have been lifted all patients will be contacted to bring their appointment forward.
Should you have further questions regarding your child’s management, please do not hesitate to contact us on 9339 8200 and one of our paediatric dentists will call you back.